What does a little girl do when she wins a bike? She jumps up and down for joy, of course! This was the case for one particular girl who received one of about a dozen refurbished bikes that were donated to the Community Days / Project Connect event at Mount Pleasant Community Church this past Saturday. Another woman who received a bike was overcome with gratitude and praised God for helping her. She had been unable to afford a new bike and said her gift was an answer to her prayers.
In addition to offering bikes at Community Days, people from both inside and outside our church community came together to serve and to be served. Community Church worked in collaboration with 24 Isabella County social service and charitable agencies to provide information and direction to over 317 area families. This information is crucial to helping families through a financial or personal crisis, especially if they are facing the possibility of homelessness.
Services were offered free to guests at the event as Community Church volunteers served coffee, pancakes & sausage and provided manicures and hair cuts. They also helped distribute donated household and personal care items such as toilet paper, shampoo and laundry soap. Families were able to visit the Community Compassion Network Mobile Food Pantry which provided enough food to last a week or more.
One woman who got her hair cut and styled could not stop smiling and telling everyone how happy she was! She kept saying, “I feel like a new woman today! I haven’t had my hair cut in such a long time and I didn’t know how I was going to be able to!”
Thank you, Community Church, for being such a generous, serving church and for loving the people who God brings to us to serve. An event like Community Days wouldn’t be able to happen without you!
Thank you to the following agencies who participated:
- Catholic Family Services
- Central Michigan Free Methodist Linen Chest
- Christian Counseling of MidMichigan
- Clothing INC – First Church of the Nazarene
- Community Mental Health
- Department of Health & Human Services – Isabella & Clare counties
- Goodrow Fund
- Hopewell Ranch
- Isabella County Rotating Homeless Shelter
- IRide (Isabella County Transportation Commission)
- Isabella Citizens for Health
- Isabella Community Soup Kitchen
- Listening Ear
- Michigan Agency for Energy – Outreach & Education
- Mt. Pleasant Public Schools – Nutrition Program & Homeless Liason
- Mt. Pleasant Housing Commission
- Pleasant Optics
- Salvation Army
- True North Community Services
- Veterans HUD VASH
- Women’s Aid Services
- Christmas Outreach